Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Miss French Fry and Ketchup!

Yowza, it's been a bit since I last posted and we have been busy busy bees at school.  Now it's my turn to have a "ketchup" day.


Without further ado, here's what's happened in the eternity since I posted:


1) My garden club harvested and sold bouquets of beautiful tulips!

Last year, I wrote a grant and received the funding to install a raised bed and plant 500+ tulips at our school with the help of my 5th grade Garden Clubbers.  Our intention was to sell the tulip bouquets to raise money for our school.  Community service AND physical work: how do you like THAT Michelle Obama?! :)





Maintaining this garden is A LOT of work, but it's so amazing to see my students learning about the flowers, weeding, and generally sweating it out in the sunshine.

Plus, this garden and our butterfly garden has inspired many fun projects.  (See #2).

2)  My Fourth Graders are wrapping up with a printmaking project studying Illinois Wildflowers.  Printmaking is one of my favorite art areas and a project I always enjoy working on with my students.



Love how tidy this little guy is being.  An artist after my own obsessive-compulsive heart! 


Our prints are still in progress, so stay tuned for more pictures soon!

3)  I was invited to present at the Art Institute of Chicago's 2014 Curriculum Fair, which was such an honor and an amazing experience.



Presenters were invited to share examples of projects based on artworks or artists housed at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Check me out in action on the Art Institute's Facebook page here!

I decided to share my 4th grade's All That Jazz unit based on Romare Bearden's works, the 3rd grade's Magritte Moon Trees, and my Kindergarten's Pointillist Paintings based on the work of Georges Seurat.

I had so much fun exploring every presenter's projects and talking with very talented teachers.

The best part about this day was that it fell on the same day my husband proposed to me at the Art Institute five years ago (cue the awwwwwww's here).


Believe it or not, our school year is still not over.  We're going until June 13th (darn Midwest and crazy Chiberian polar vortex days).  But the plus side of that is I still have many more projects to share with you, so keep on keepin' on!

No comments:

Post a Comment