Thursday, December 5, 2013

Connect the Dots, Kandinsky Style.


So, I have a polka dot problem.  Possibly an addiction. While I was pulling out an ensemble for the school day in my fuzzy pre-coffee state, I was overwhelmed by the amount of polka dots in my closet.  And I did ask myself, is it right, or is it wrong?  And I said to myself, my god, what have I done?!  (if you don't get the allusion to Talking Heads, shame on you).

Anywho, back to the dots...


So many dots, so little time.  Like so many art teachers, I love The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds.  His beautiful illustrations and the art teacher's sage advice to "make a mark and see where it takes you" is down right inspiring and lends itself perfectly to all things Kandinsky.

I recently came across this adorable circle painting lesson here on the site Small for Big.  The lesson of course borrows inspiration from Kandinsky's Squares with Concentric Circles.

 


Since I can never get enough of good ol' polka dots, I always do some variation every year, usually with my little Kinders.  This year, our project continued our study of cool and warm colors.  I started with an introduction to Kandinsky's work and looked at multiple pieces.  After setting up each table with the following items, the Kinders waited for directions...

  • pre-folded 12" x 18" watercolor paper
  • Sax liquid watercolors
  • brushes
  • water pots
  • tray to hold the materials
  • great listening ears!
To ensure each composition contained a variety of colors, my students were given directions to turn on their listening ears as I gave steps to use a "warm color of sunshine," or the "cool colors in the ocean."  Here's a sneak peek into some of their pieces...




 








I love all things the little Kindergarteners make (just not always the messes they make), but what made my day was having a parent tell me her 5 year old came home bubbling non-stop about Kandinsky and his dots and lines and EYEBALL ART (he meant abstract art by the way).

Now go and make your own EYEBALL art, I dare you!






No comments:

Post a Comment