Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Let's Talk about Berries, Baby.

Yes, let's.  Summer screams berry season and as a lover of all things berry, it's my favorite time of year.  Though I'm not gonna lie, I say that about most of our Midwest seasons.  Except winter.  Our polar winter this past year kinda took away the glowing feelings I had about wintertime.  Winter, you've got a lot of making up to do this year, buddy.

Anyways, on to the berries.  First, I wanted to share some berry art with you to get ya in the berry mood.  I found this darling piece below on Etsy, but unfortunately for us berry lovers, it looks like it has expired, though I did track down the artist, Judith Moffatt, and her lovely tissue paper collages.  See the link below.


Her piece totally reminds me of the classic Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey, one of my all time favorites.


So while I haven't been traveling, hanging with family, friends, and dogs, and taking insanely boring grad classes this summer, I've been enjoying some summer baking.  And what better way to bake than to use the fruits of my own labor: the berries from my backyard garden!

This season's berries started out with gooseberries galore, which were turned into a delicious gooseberry crisp, using Smitten Kitchen's recipe for strawberry rhubarb crisp bars (which I whipped up with strawberries and backyard rhubarb many times this summer too).  This time, I just subbed in gooseberries instead of the rhubarb and strawberries.


Now, if you aren't familiar with gooseberries, they are nature's version of the Sour Patch Kids (which I LOOOOVE and are my downfall in the candy aisle).  So, I can justify gooseberry crisp bars as being healthier than Sour Patch Kids, right?


The gooseberry crisp bars turned out sour and sweet and super duper delicious.  The gooseberries burst open a little bit, but still held onto their plumpness!  I even froze a couple for a snack for later (yeah, they didn't last long).




Please excuse the shadow-y picture.  It was probably caused by me or my husband lurking nearby to check how soon this dessert would be ready for devouring.


Raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries are coming in soooooon.  So stay berry tuned in, okay?






No comments:

Post a Comment