Friday, December 6, 2013

What Does the Fox Say?

If you haven't seen The Fox by Ylvis, you should probably get out of your den and check it out.  This video went viral back in September and features the Ylvis brothers, a young comedic Norwegian team who writes poppy, parodic ballads.  I'm not gonna lie, the first time I heard the song, I was OBSESSED.  It is catchy, fun to dance to (as much as an uncoordinated art teacher can), and the music video absolutely rocks.  Just wait until you get to the part with the fox who scats at the end (scats as in jazz singing, not the animal dropping type of scat...just thought I'd clarify).

Foxes have become the "it" animal of the fashion world.  Owls were SOOO last year.  I have seen foxes pop up on everything lately, even my tissues boxes!



How cute is this sweater dress one of my students donned during our fox art lesson?



I was bitten by the fox bug and was struggling to find inspiration for a fox art lesson all over Pinterest, but to no avail. So, I combined some of my favorite art materials and techniques and came up with a lesson plan.



Materials:
  • black construction paper
  • white construction paper
  • rust, white, and black oil pastels for the fox
  • pencils
  • oil pastels
  • scissors
  • glue
  • tempera paint
  • painter's tape
  • black paint
  • cardboard pieces
We spent about 2-3 60 minute art classes on this lesson.  I introduced this project by reading aloud One Fine Day by Nonny Hogrogian.  This Caldecott-winning book from the 1970's features gorgeous illustrations to retell an Armenian folktale.  My students were enchanted by the illustrations.


Check out some of these foxy little guys below, though there is one BIG rule while doing this project.  You MUST play "The Fox" by Ylvis while the little artists are working.  The kids were so darn happy while making their masterpieces.





Love this one with the little fox den in the background.








No comments:

Post a Comment