Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Every Hedgehog Has Its Thorns.

The fox has many tricks.  The hedgehog has but one.  But that is the best of all.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson



Remember how I said foxes are the new owl of the fashion world?  Well, now I'm going to have to eat crow, because hedeghogs are fast approaching!

I keep seeing these little guys pop up at my local Anthro, and while 50 bucks seems like a lot for something to wipe dog poop off my boots, hedgies are pretty darn cute.  I can't get enough of them, and I sure do have fond memories of long car rides playing a handheld game with this speedy little hedgehog...


To introduce my 1st graders to this lesson, we read Jan Brett's Hedgie's Surprise.  I have adored Brett's books since childhood, as her Scandinavian illustrations are always reminiscent of my own Danish heritage.


This book is a fantastic read aloud due to the illustrations full of exciting details and little side vignettes, plus, my 1st grade artists loved making predictions as to how Hedgie was going to save the day for dear Henny.

Our 1st grade hedgehogs were constructed using the pinch pot method to create a turtle shell effect.  Students then pulled out the snout and added the eyes and prickles using a toothpick and a fork.  The final touch was the cute little round nose.

Before:





Annnnnnd After:





One little ombre fellow




Love this little chocolate chip hedgie!




Eeeeek! In my completely biased opinion, I think they are so darn cute.  I want to take them all home and put them around my tulip garden (once we kick this darn winter outta here).

Stick around (get it?) as there will be more fun projects coming soon!












No comments:

Post a Comment