Sunday, January 26, 2014

Got Time? Make Art!

What do you do with your kiddos when they finish up a project?  Having a stock of free draw paper and How-To books available for fast finishers was my go-to, until I started to realize that the kids could use a change of scenery (and so could I).


Now don't get me wrong, I've still got a sweet stash of Ed Emberley Drawing Books in my Got Time? Make Art! Station, but I added a few other options to mix it up a bit.


Students have a few choices.  They can:

A) Make an Art Trading Card
B) Use a Drawing Book
C) Use the OOPS! bin
D) Play Art War




Art War is my homemade version of Pictionary.  The Art War bin is stocked with miniature whiteboards, Expo markers, a timer, and a baggie full of artsy nouns and verbs.  The kids LOVE this game and do a great job working together when playing Art War.  One child is always nominated as the time keeper/judge and in charge of awarding points to the students.


The OOPS bin is stocked full of scraps with leftover doodles that the students can turn into something "new."


And lastly, the ATC station.  I pre-cut the art trading cards to 2.5 x 3.5 inches, which is standard baseball card size.  Students have an art trading card checklist they must complete before turning their finished cards into the "Done" pocket.  Each card must use 3 different art tools and have the student's name and grade on the back.





So if you've got some time on your hands, make art, arties!




No comments:

Post a Comment