Friday, April 25, 2014

Fab Flamingos.

I blogged a ways back about some of our Dali projects in development, one of which was my Second graders' project based on Dali's The Elephants.

The Elephants, 1948

I was really trying to drill home our two Art Smart words "exaggerate" and "overlap" with this project, so I wore the words every class for the entire lesson to remind the students to use these techniques in their final products.  After all, no lesson is complete without some weird accessory attached to me, right?



After looking at some examples of Dali's works, I "read" my students Flora and the Flamingo by Molly Idle.  Now I say "read" because the book is wordless, but we could not get enough of the story.  As a lover of all things flamingo, I am in LOVE with this book.  My students loved narrating it as we flipped through it together and studied the flamingo's poses.
We got to work creating the backgrounds with tempera and salt first, then created painted paper with two tones of light and dark for the flamingo bodies and wings.


Next class, we used eyedroppers with watered down black tempera to create the exaggerated Dali-esque legs.

 



Then we cut out the bodies, beaks, wings, etc. and glued them down carefully as the black leggies were still pretty wet.


Final details of google eyes and feathers were added last.






Love the legs on this one!

Have a Fabulously Flamingo Friday!